Friday, October 16, 2009

Editorial Assistant

Before I finish my degree, I will work as an editorial assistant for a writing professor. I will help in the editing and production of an anthology of creative non-fiction by Boston-area public school teachers.

Typically, an assistant does a lot of what you’d normally call secretarial work dealing with the clutter of office life. In the case of a editorial assistant, I will maintain communication with authors and editor, attending editorial board meetings, proofreading near-final copy and help to pitch the final product. Sometimes, there will be plenty of work, but more often I'll be on my own, which is why I shall make it a habit to get organized and have a checklist of what needs to be done and by when.

If someone is going to be a full-time writer's assistant, sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day, they might as well be writing something that can further their career. Though, I plan to keep working my other part-time position while working as an assistant. Therefore I don't think this can help my career goals as much as it is going to teach me how the process of book editing and publishing works.

There are perks. I will not be working out of a gloomy office or a house. I will be working alongside the professor at a cafe.

The project starts soon and I am looking forward to the experience.

No comments: