Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Continuing education

I am a product of continuing education program at Harvard University Extension School. I, like many other adults, chose to go back to school to get my master’s degree to develop myself as a writer. But who I’m I kidding, one of the real reasons was to earn a larger paycheck by having a higher degree. The courses at Harvard University Extension School were wonderful. I had either real working journalist (most from The Globe) or Harvard professors.
The best part was the stipend I received from working on campus. Instead of paying the $1500 for each course, I ended up paying only the cost of taxes, which was roughly $40 per course. This meant I would be able to get a bonafide Harvard Degree for under $1000.
The other fantastic thing about getting my degree through continuing education was the flexibility of the courses I took. I was able to take night courses and still keep my day job. The level of work was intense, but was easy to manage once I committed my weekend schedule to schoolwork and studies.
I believe anyone can achieve a degree through continuing education. And you don’t need to spend thousands of dollars to do so. All you need is dedication and the willingness to learn and practice. Its easy to better equip yourself for your future dream job through continuing education.

No comments: